The Jesuit Missions team provides a crucial link between Jesuits at work throughout the world and benefactors, friends and supporters in Britain. Its office has been based in Wimbledon for more than 50 years.
Its mission is:
“To support Jesuit works with poor and marginalised people around the world by promoting social justice, building bridges between communities and accompanying those working on the missions.”
Four key principles and values underpin JM’s work:
- It is inspired and nurtured by Ignatian spirituality.
- It exercises a preferential option for the poor.
- It empowers local communities to respond to their needs in a sustainable way.
- It actively seeks collaboration within the Society of Jesus and beyond.
Recent projects include:
- Providing a clean water supply for a school in India;
- Translating for the first time the New Testament into Wapishana for Amerindian people in Guyana;
- Building a basketball court for the St Peter’s, Kubatana community in Zimbabwe; and
- Supporting the work of Zambuko House, a refuge for street children in Harare
- Launching an appeal for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan which has raised £275,000 to date
Staff members have an important role to play in guiding and advising school communities in their educational and fundraising efforts. JM also helps to monitor the implementation of projects funded.
Director: Paul Chitnis
Tel. 020 8946 0466