Jesuit Missions Womble meets Sir Mo Farah
“Who is that with the Womble?”
Twenty waves of family runners were set off, one after another, by celebrity race starter, Sir Mo Farah.
The multiple world and Olympic champion was there in the morning to encourage children and adults participating in the family events as they ran a mile on the spectacular route that started on The Mall and finished in front of Buckingham Palace.
“This is the best family mile run in the world,” said Sir Mo. “It is wonderful to see thousands of kids running or walking with their parents and friends on this amazing route and everyone gets a medal after they finish.
Our popular Womble even got to meet and shake hands with Sir Mo, who asked “so, who are the Wombles?!”
The full line up for the Mascots Race was:
• Wellington Womble from Jesuit Missions
• Chester the Squirrel from the Royal Parks
• Jude the Cat and Sparky the Tiger from Queens Park Rangers Football Club
• Pinkie the Panther from Middlesex Cricket Club
• Paws from Get Active at the London Borough of Wandsworth
• Alfie the Monkey from the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham
• Bumble Bee from Bee Active who took home £1000 for winning the 400m Mascots Race
And from Animal Fu, the new character-based fitness programme promoting fitness, friendship and fun for 3 to 7 year olds, there were Zogg the Seal, Boris the Tiger, Patsy the Bear, Mubu the Monkey, Master Storky and DJ Finn.
'Team Wombles' have represented Jesuit Missions with 35 Golden Bond Places in the London Marathon for the past 22 years raising funds for good causes.