From the Archives: St Beuno's chapels

POST BY RSomerset

Old sepia photograph showing internal view of chapel at St Beuno's
St Beunos chapel

In Letters and Notices of March 1966 the following note can be found:

A stone in the Rock Chapel at St Beuno’s records: "This stone of the chapel was laid on May 10, 1866, and the chapel was opened on September 24, 1866." It may not be generally known that it was built in honour of Our Lady of Sorrows and as a pilgrimage shrine in reparation for the 64 shrines (we have a map of them) in honour of Our Lady destroyed in North Wales during the Reformation years. It was apparently built by local labour and is of Welsh granite, like the College. 

 

 

In recognition of this month marking 150 years since this anniversary, here are some old photographs of St Beuno's chapels from the Jesuits in Britian archives.

 Black and white photograph of chapel Black and white photograph of five men in clerical dress in the choir loft in chapel Black and white photograph of chapel Black and white photograph of chapel with clergy at altar Black and white photograph of chapel Black and white photograph of chapel