Augustus Law SJ

On 15 April 1755, Dr Johnson published his Dictionary of the English Language. In the previous 150 years over 20 English dictionaries had been published, but these had all had serious shortcomings of organisation or scope which limited their usefulness. Dr Johnson was commissioned to make his dictionary by a group of publishers who needed a definitive authority for English grammar, definition and spelling. There had been a huge expansion of books, newspapers and pamphlets in the Eighteenth...
Warriors, Sketch of Augustus Law SJ c1880
There is a small sketchbook in the Stonyhurst College collections, with a number of curious and moving drawings and paintings by a Jesuit priest who is popularly known as the Martyr of the Zambezi.Augustus Law was converted to Catholicism when serving as a junior officer in the Navy. He joined the Jesuits in 1854, and twenty-one years later set sail for South Africa, feeling a strong call to be a missionary. He founded St Aidan’s College for boys in Grahamstown and learnt the Zulu language...
Black and white photograph of Fr Augustus Law SJ
This year marks the 140th anniversary of the completion of St Aidan’s College in South Africa. At its opening, 31 January 1867, the community consisted of three Jesuit priests and three Jesuit brothers. In this blog post we remember the life of Fr Augustus Law, one of those founding Fathers.  Augustus Law was born 21 October 1833 and entered the Society 15 January 1854 after a career in the navy, during which he converted to Catholicism. In the ten years between entering the...