Jesuits join St Teresa's Sisters as church is dedicated
The Missionary Sisters of Charity – founded by Mother Teresa in 1950 – began the community in Timehri by undertaking short visits to families and surrounding places. On Sunday, Bishop Francis Alleyne OSB celebrated the Eucharist for this small Catholic community and named their church in honour of St Mother Teresa.
Timehri – an Amerindian word meaning "paintings and drawings on the rock” – is situated 41 kilometres south of Guyana’s capital Georgetown. For the past year, the community has been served by Fr Britto Arockiam SJ, a Jesuit of the Madurai Province in India, along with Fr Packiaraj. Fr Britto is the Pastor for the East Bank Communities in Guyana, a region of the British Province, which is supported by Jesuit Missions.