St Francis Xavier's Parish
Founded by the Jesuits in 1845, St Francis Xavier's was at one time the largest Catholic parish in England, with 13,000 parishioners. Depopulation in the 1970s meant that SFX and many of the local parishes became unviable. In 2001, the parishes of St Joseph and St Mary of the Angels were combined with SFX to form a new, larger parish.
In recent years, Liverpool Hope University College has moved into the disused SFX schools surrounding the church to accommodate its drama, fine art and music departments. 200 students live in the newly-built Hopkins Hall and a multi-million pound renovation of the church has started. The parish is witnessing a rebirth after many years of neglect.
Parish Priest: Fr Denis Blackledge SJ
Liverpool L3 8DR
Tel: 0151 298 1911
Holydays of Obligation: 12 noon, 7.00pm
Weekdays: Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat: 12 noon
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
and Confessions: Saturday 11am - 12 noon