Lutyens

One of the Archives’ most frequently asked about collections unsurprisingly belongs to one of the most high-profile English Jesuits of recent times, Fr Martin D’Arcy SJ. Due to the standard closure period of 40 years after the death of a Jesuit for their personal papers, Fr D’Arcy’s papers have finally been fully catalogued and made available to the public.Martin Cyril D'Arcy was born in Bath on 15 June 1888, the fourth and youngest son of a barrister, Martin Valentine D'Arcy and Madoline Mary...
Martin D’Arcy was born in Bath in 1888.  Educated at Stonyhurst, he became a Jesuit in 1906.  He joined Pope’s Hall in Oxford  (which later became Campion Hall) in 1912 and enjoyed considerable academic success .  He taught at Jesuit schools before returning to Oxford, becoming Master in 1933. During this period Campion Hall was built on the current Brewer St site.  D’Arcy, unimpressed by the original plans, persuaded Sir Edmund Lutyens to design a...