Stonyhurst

On the 9th of August 1793, the English College began its migration from St Omer in Artois, to Bruges. Initially founded in 1593 by Fr Robert Persons SJ as the College of Saint-Omer in Artois, France (then part of the Spanish Netherlands), the school was forced to relocate twice due to the suppression of the Jesuit order, first to Bruges in 1762 and then Liege in 1773, before migrating a third and final time to Stonyhurst in England where it became Stonyhurst College in 1794.Since Catholic...
Jan Graffius, the Stonyhurst College Curator, has been invited to attend the Beatification Ceremony of Archbishop Oscar Romero, which takes place in El  Salvador’s capital, San Salvador, on Saturday 23 May. The invitation is in recognition of the work she has carried out over the last eight years preserving the relics of Monseñor Romero, in addition to those of the six Jesuit Martyrs and their companions, murdered by Death Squad troops in 1989.In addition to attending...
A Stonyhurst alumnus who set up a charity in East Africa that helps refugee children get an education has been named as one of the recipients of the Queen's Young Leaders Award 2014.Edmund Page was given the award in recognition of the achievements of the Xavier Project, which he established to provide educational opportunities to refugees living in urban areas in Kenya and Uganda. The project acts as mentors to the youngsters, funds their schooling and puts them through courses to teach them...
Most Jesuit schools in Britain reopen this week after the summer break. And for those whose secondary education has ended, the world of work or further studies beckons.2014 school leavers from St Aloysius College in Glasgow are heading for a wide selection of Scottish universities, with their subjects ranging from psychology and maths/economics at St Andrew's to pharmacology and law at Strathclyde. Other students will be studying medicine at Dundee, Music Technology at the West of Scotland...
On Thursday 7 August, the Society of Jesus throughout the world celebrates the 200th anniversary of its Restoration by Pope Pius VII. Although the English Province had been technically reinstated 11 years previously, the occasion is still a cause of major celebration.A dozen or so English Jesuits had survived the Suppression of the Society of Jesus by Pope Clement XIV in 1773 and were continuing ministry at their college in Liege (then an independent principality, now modern Belgium) when it...
Jesuit parishes and other communities throughout Britain are joining the rest of the country today in recalling the outbreak of the First World War, the role its members played in the conflict and the sacrifice of so many thousands.The Great War is being remembered especially at Stonyhurst College in Lancashire. More than 1,000 pupils from the school were sent to the trenches; 167 of them died in active service. Three Victoria Crosses were awarded to Old Stonyhurst pupils – the first was...
Stonyhurst College has celebrated the 200th anniversary of the Restoration of the Society of Jesus by performing a series of concerts in Rome. The college’s Schola Cantorum sang in several historic churches associated with St Ignatius of Loyola and the Jesuits and attended the papal audience in St Peter’s Square.The Schola Cantorum’s concert in the Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva was attended by Nigel Baker, the British Ambassador to the Holy See, who said he was greatly...
Cardinal Vincent Nichols, the Archbishop of Westminster, was the guest of honour at Stonyhurst’s prize-giving this year. In his address to parents and pupils at the historic Jesuit school in Lancashire, the most senior member of the Catholic Church in England and Wales described Pope Francis as the finest exponent of Jesuit education, for his focus on the human person.Cardinal Nichols said that, it was clear from meeting his Holiness in Rome that the generosity and love...
A record number of boys and girls from Stonyhurst College have successfully completed their Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Gold level expedition. Nineteen sixth formers from Stonyhurst walked 50 miles in Snowdonia over four days and three nights, crossing over the shoulder of Snowdon. Navigation and wild camping tested their survival skills in a situation where the facilities of a "normal" campsite were a very long way away. Mrs Jenny Shelley, Head of Chemistry at Stonyhurst and the...
Martin D’Arcy was born in Bath in 1888.  Educated at Stonyhurst, he became a Jesuit in 1906.  He joined Pope’s Hall in Oxford  (which later became Campion Hall) in 1912 and enjoyed considerable academic success .  He taught at Jesuit schools before returning to Oxford, becoming Master in 1933. During this period Campion Hall was built on the current Brewer St site.  D’Arcy, unimpressed by the original plans, persuaded Sir Edmund Lutyens to design a...

Pages